Today, I would like to offer a little experiment. If you fancy it, I’d like you to just read through this list of pairs, and carefully consider your own feelings, your own responses, to each one of each pair.
There are no prizes, and I don’t propose that anyone share their responses, unless they really feel inclined to. I am more interested in whether you think that your responses tell you anything about yourself, or the society you were brought up in, or, indeed, any other set of circumstances that you think may colour your responses.
1) He is well-built / She is well-built.
2) He is easily moved to tears / She is easily moved to tears.
3) He knows what he wants and how to get it / She knows what she wants and how to get it.
4) He intends to have fun playing the field before settling down / She intends to have fun playing the field before settling down.
5) There is nothing mechanical he cannot fix / There is nothing mechanical she cannot fix.